What do you miss most that could be suggested to the Devs here?

I'm not thinking of things that would make this into a Glitch clone, more stuff that would make this game better while retaining it's HMB flavor. Think of basic game feature you would MOST want added.

My wish:
Both Glitch and Faunasphere had a player driven market feature.
This worked fine even with the instancing in FS due to it being global, and (unlike in Glitch) the Market was accessible from inside the game in FS.

I would REALLY love to see this happen.
This way those of us who LOVE to cook could sell food to those who are more into trapping/mining/exploring/foraging, etc. And people who really like foraging could sell fruit and such, etc. It would also allow for the values of things to float a bit, giving an extra strategy aspect to the game. Rare butterflies would become more interesting to collect, especially if there were advanced recipes that needed rare ingredients. (The Rippon Birdwing might actually BE the "black-gold of butterfly collectors", then.)

Comments

• Joanne KayJoanne Kay Posts: 2,270Member ✭✭✭✭✭
    At the start I wanted a market or auction too. But after playing for a while I realized that the way this game is structured would make it extremely hard to implement. If other players could sell you what you want, exploring and foraging would become pointless. Trapping too, if I could just buy the very rare drop.
    Almanac completion would depend purely on money... to cook something you wouldn't have to discover where the ingredients are, find how to get to the place or wait for it to grow, and craft it, but simply buy the final product.
    The whole game process would become redundant.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    >> The forum has a search function - remember to use it! <<
    >> The almanac is your best friend - take a look! <<
    >> HBM WIKI - http://herebemonsters.wikia.com/wiki/Here_Be_Monsters_Wikia <<
    Zira
  • John BrandtJohn Brandt Posts: 593Member ✭✭✭✭
    Hmm... I agree SOMEWHAT to what you are saying Joanne, but I think you are stating it a bit more extremely than it would actually become. You have to generate the coins SOMEHOW, and "very rare drops" would not be sold cheaply. You have to do SOMETHING to get coins (unless you just purchase the rare drops with banknotes... but you can already do that).

Your example of learning how to cook an item makes more sense to me. People could easily miss out on the fun of discovery, and not enjoy the game as much. On the other hand, you are free to go through that process even though the ingredients you need might be on sale. You could also create a restriction say you can't buy anything from the market unless it is colored in your almanac.

A much bigger problem... or set of problems is that when you introduce free trade in a game, you increase the incentive to bot/script/hack/multi significantly. And these cheaters now have power to not just ruin their own gaming experience but create massive inflation on the free market. I have seen this kind of thing get so bad that the only way to possibly afford anything on the market is to sell things to the cheaters.

So I guess that while, I would enjoy a player market in an ideal world, I'm skeptical that it can be done without a development team that is both willing and able to spend a lot of resources policing the cheaters.
  • Heather MomoHeather Momo Posts: 19Member
    2 things - I used to enjoy giving things to other players (real things out of my inventory - not FB "gifts") and jumping. I really miss jumping.
    ...also I used to enjoy planting things on my home street for other players to use, especially when my rock started giving me img for them!
  • Murri BlackswordMurri Blacksword Posts: 20Member
    Thanks for actually sharing your ideas, Heather! I'd love to be able to gift real things too.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    You have to be careful with market places, there is a fine line between playing a game and gambling and Facebook may not take kindly to it. E.g. Your drop rate is random, and if a rare item is valuable, it becomes a game of chance, which is fine in a game format, but when players start to benefit at the expense of other players then you tread a fine line, e.g. South Korea banned the in game market places for this reason.

Diablo-3-Forces-Korean-Government-Ban-All-Virtual-Item-Trades-43620.html

That article is a government response but I'm sure Facebook wouldn't like to make any governments angry.

Glitch was not on Facebook so could make their own rules almost. HBM has to stick to face books
  • Emily TonkinEmily Tonkin Posts: 87Member

2 things - I used to enjoy giving things to other players (real things out of my inventory - not FB "gifts") and jumping. I really miss jumping.
    ...also I used to enjoy planting things on my home street for other players to use, especially when my rock started giving me img for them!

Yes, both of these.

Plus, crafting furniture/display items.

I was wondering about a marketplace/trading/gifting system that would allow for transfers of items that are *not* for quests, achievements, or other types of game advancement. Just for fun, basically. I have friends/family members that like certain parts of games but not others and if trading/gifting is allowed we tend to work to our strengths and share, which keeps all of us playing longer. Just a thought.
    Thysby ~ recently relocated to southern Africa and still settling in
    Admin-Chris: Faunasphere WAS on FB, and had no problem with the in-game marketplace. Nobody said a thing about it, so I think you may be being a bit paranoid there. Also, games like Diablo have gold farming issues due to hardcore players being willing to pay other players real money for game money. Since all of the players involved have to actually WORK to get coins to use in the market, it's perfectly even and fair. And if I get some rare drop I don't either need or want that someone else does, I would rather they have it.

Another option here is a direct items trade system, where you post something and players bid a certain number of the desired item on it. Say I have Mango Juice, and put up 100 as a lot, and ask for Sapphires in return - someone bids only the number they feel it is worth, and it either expires because the bid didn't go high enough for me to want to accept it, or I accept it.

One thing I'm not liking is that if I'm short on RL time and want to put some stuff on to cook before going back to carving (I'm a metalworker and artisan carver in RL) I either have to have spent hours collecting previously, or I have to not cook. I don't always have hours at a time to play, and the current system forces me to do all of the things in the game, even the ones I don't enjoy, which makes it a bit grindy sometimes.

Now, when it comes to quests, that is SIMPLE: Don't allow the bought items to count. If it says make 5 pasta dough, you can't return with dough from the market and the quest complete.
    Also, having just re-read the article you linked Chris, you might want to go read that again yourself.
    Korea banned people from buying virtual items from other people.

So, that either means that I can't use real money to buy a stack of garnets from another player in game, or if we read that with a helping of hysteria it means that I can't use money to buy banknotes in the game and then buy items in the game with them. Given that the problem Korea is having involves Diablo, and doesn't even mention "gambling", I'd say that they don't want KOREANS spending real Korean money to buy garnets in HBM from a player in China or the US.

Here is the problem: Nobody was suggesting that.
  • Krishna MartinsKrishna Martins Posts: 5,003Member ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2013
    Edited to remove reply that isn't necessary and was just a reflection of a frustrating day.
    __________________________________________________________________________________
    My HBM Homestead is South of Yemen. Off the coast of Somalia, on the island of Socotra.
  • Libby HillLibby Hill Posts: 1,139Member ✭✭✭✭
    I think that devs are well within their rights to not want to add a marketplace or in-game trading without thinking through what that may mean to the balance of the game. After all, as much as I loved Glitch, it was far from a perfect game (obviously, since it went under.)

I also think it's misguided to constantly be trying to make over one game to make it more similar to one(s) gone by.

Obviously, those were among things you liked about the other games. That doesn't necessarily mean that they're necessary to make this game great.

I used to be Glitchen, but now I'm Folk. And sometimes a bunny.
    edited March 2013

You have to be careful with market places, there is a fine line between playing a game and gambling and Facebook may not take kindly to it. E.g. Your drop rate is random, and if a rare item is valuable, it becomes a game of chance, which is fine in a game format, but when players start to benefit at the expense of other players then you tread a fine line, e.g. South Korea banned the in game market places for this reason.

Diablo-3-Forces-Korean-Government-Ban-All-Virtual-Item-Trades-43620.html

That article is a government response but I'm sure Facebook wouldn't like to make any governments angry.

Glitch was not on Facebook so could make their own rules almost. HBM has to stick to face books

The Diablo 3 example isn't really applicable unless you are thinking of a market that uses real money. I have lots to say on that topic but as it has nothing to do with HBM, I will just say that the writer of that article is horribly informed as to the issues at hand (or perhaps he is being purposely misleading).

Anyway, Facebook has games with a market so I find it hard to believe that it is against policy. I'm not saying a market would be good for HBM, but Facebook seems to allow it.

edited March 2013

Admin-Chris: Faunasphere WAS on FB, and had no problem with the in-game marketplace. Nobody said a thing about it, so I think you may be being a bit paranoid there.

Agreed. I have played several games with markets on FB (Dungeon Overlord has one now).

Also, games like Diablo have gold farming issues due to hardcore players being willing to pay other players real money for game money.

Perhaps, but "casual" games from Zynga have tons of hacks, scripts and bots as well, and there isn't a way to trade in those games at all.

Since all of the players involved have to actually WORK to get coins to use in the market, it's perfectly even and fair.

I would be very happy if this statement were true, but it is unfortunately not. All games which achieve a certain level of popularity (and some that don't if it is easy to cheat) will have cheaters. (the term cheaters is perhaps a bit harsh but for my purposes it is any bot/script/hack or multiaccount exploitation).

One thing I'm not liking is that if I'm short on RL time and want to put some stuff on to cook before going back to carving (I'm a metalworker and artisan carver in RL) I either have to have spent hours collecting previously, or I have to not cook. I don't always have hours at a time to play, and the current system forces me to do all of the things in the game, even the ones I don't enjoy, which makes it a bit grindy sometimes.

Can you explain this more... I don't understand. What are you trying to cook? Are you having energy problems? In "hours" you can gather a heck of a lot of cooking ingredients...

Now, when it comes to quests, that is SIMPLE: Don't allow the bought items to count. If it says make 5 pasta dough, you can't return with dough from the market and the quest complete.

While possible, that is hardly simple to implement. But I don't think it really matters, because the "quest argument" against a market is a little flimsy assuming there is no cheating going on, since as you already pointed out you would be required to put forth an equal amount of effort in some aspect of the game you do enjoy (probably a little more) to avoid something you hate.

I still think the unavoidable problem is cheating. It can be overcome, but without significant and ongoing effort from Game Admins and programmers, the increased motivation to cheat that the market would provide could ruin the game.

A simple example (that anyone could do) would be to mine on multiple accounts and pool your coins using the market. Cheaters with a little know-how can script/bot or exploit a bug for coins. These things would cause inflation, that I can see only as bad for upstanding players (especially those without a lot of play time like yourself).

Eventually, the most destructive cheating of all will happen when the game becomes popular enough for a savy programmer to modify (or add to) the game client with an actual "hack". You can choose to ignore this kind of cheating if you wish (like Zynga does) until your players start exchanging items, and a few cheaters can influence the entire game economy rather than just ruin their own experience.
    By the way I'm totally supportive of finding things from games we used to play to come up with ideas for HBM. What is this "planting things on your home street for other players" thing?
    Fair enough. I'm just a bit Glitch fatigued.

Fair enough. I'm just a bit Glitch fatigued.

I'm not disagreeing with your post up above... it is not fair to expect this game to play as a game that you used to play. But to use old games as a spring board I think is good as long as we try to remain objective about their potential in HBM. "My last game had it" is not a good enough reason to add something to HBM, but maybe it is a good enough reason to talk about it.
    No, I know. I'm just walking back my post a little by admitting my own biases. I'm definitely not trying to shut down conversation about things that may or may not potentially be added.

I just know that when I first came to HBM and was grieving or whatever, there was a lot of stuff that I wished was different and I came to realize it's because I was trying to make the game into something it wasn't, as opposed to enjoying it for what it is.

So I'm absolutely projecting a bit, which I shouldn't do and I just wanted to clarify my position. As resident crank. :D

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited March 2013
    Murro is certainly right, we are quite paranoid about creating situations that may upset anybody. Facebook have become much stricter with their policies in the past year or two since they have learnt a lot from their relationship with zynga (they recently broke their close ties).

And yes we wouldn't want to have people buying virtual items off each other, if anybody got messed around by another player, we would still bare responsibility as we want to protect anybody who plays our games. So we are keen to stay away from auctions and trading for the time being, but never say never and we are going to work on something close to trading.
  • Joanne KayJoanne Kay Posts: 2,270Member ✭✭✭✭✭
    Libby, I'm Glitch fatigued as far as the forums are concerned too - and I'm an ex Glitchen :))
    Maybe it's because many of them only played Glitch and have little else to make comparisons with?
    I know I can can think of a dozen games I've played with stuff that could be implemented here but I decided to not push this kind of thing because HBM is so refreshingly new that I want to see where they want to go.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    >> The forum has a search function - remember to use it! <<
    >> The almanac is your best friend - take a look! <<
    >> HBM WIKI - http://herebemonsters.wikia.com/wiki/Here_Be_Monsters_Wikia <<
    Zira
    John, to clarify: If I know that I am going to have time after work, say an hour and I want to do some heavy mining so my gems can be in the workshop while I am asleep, I like to put a huge stack of something on to cook, like a juice or something else you can easily get a ton of the same two or three ingredients for. So, say I want Mango Juice for mining fuel. I can either spend a couple hours foraging and get enough mangos to make the maximum size batch (having grown and milled sugar the previous day/overnight), or I could pop in, and spend a previous day's mining profits on mangos, get the workshop running and go to work, with another batch queued up when I pause for a bite of lunch later.

To clarify for everyone here:
    As an artist, I think the Mona Lisa is actually a kinda ugly/weird painting. But if I look at it in detail, I can see things about the approach used in painting it that are interesting, even though my art isn't painting. Inspiration isn't always copying, and sometimes it takes knowing WHY someone likes something to get inspired. It's actually more inspiring to me to listen to someone who DOES like the Mona Lisa than to stare at it myself. Sure, Glitch was nifty as hell. But people like to talk about only a few things about it: Great community, art style, why it died. Not the little game mechanics they liked and why it made the game more fun, why it made the game something they wanted to sit and play for hours.

And in case you guys missed it, I put this in the Ex-Glitchen section. So yes, I related it to Glitch. I also mentioned FS.
    I didn't ask about other games because honestly the only other things I've really stuck with more than a month are Farmville (and FV2) and a weird Mech based game built by some dudes in Poland that is so wildly different that the mechanics don't translate here. And I quit playing it awhile back. I didn't mention FV because it has issues, all the best bits are already here and I didn't really want to be overly predicable in mentioning the Z word in regards to FB gaming.
    John Said:
    What is this "planting things on your home street for other players" thing?
    We had homestreets that were public, anyone could get to them unless they were specifically blocked by a player. We could plant gardens (herb and vegetable), place mines (like our gem mines), plant trees & animals and/or have a variety of other resource producing items there.

Other players could interact (to varying degrees) with all of those items. They could mine for different ores, harvest trees, harvest herbs and veggies, nibble our piggies (for meat), squeeze our chickens (for grain) and milk our butterflies (for milk - it was a quirky game ;p). They could get huge amounts of resources quickly and easily by touring the "neighborhood" - following the street signs that lead to either our friends or folks (who became friends for the most part) that were part of resource routes that were set up and managed by players through our groups (like the clans/tribes/guilds you mentioned). Note poles and teachable gnomes (or teachable jack o' lanterns during Zilloween) would inform folks about which street sign would lead to more of any given item.

It could be a great way to give back to the community by allowing people access to unlimited resources, though not entirely altruistic. We got rewarded with XP for every interaction with items on our streets. The XP could be collected up to 4 times per RL day. (I'm not saying that most people didn't do it to be friendly, helpful or giving. I think that they did and, given that the XP reward wasn't applicable initially, it certainly started out that way. But, man, those routes grew to ridiculous numbers when the XP grant was initiated...)

We could also leave piles of goodies (both desirable and not so desirable) on our streets for people to take, at will. I had two "FREE" piles on my street that anybody could take or add to. As an example, if HBM worked this way, you'd leave items in the piles like a bundle of wild grass, buckets of milk, prepared food, fish, loot, bushels of fruit, bottles of potion, jugs of fruit juice, piles of sand, stack of wood or piles of stone. Anyone could come and help themselves to those goodies (and your farm plots) that were on your street. Our houses also had backyards with and the ability to have all of the things listed above as well, but only key holders could get in there.

For HBM, it'd be like anyone in the game could teleport to my homestead and interact with any animals, trees and plots I had. If I didn't want them to interact with things, I'd put them in my back yard (only accessible through my house (which only my buddies might have access to)). Though, really, even the buddies list is a bad example cause you could have a huge friends list and never even give out a key to your house... But, my homestead could be accessed by any other player in the game, at any time, unless I had specifically blocked that person.

It was great, but also, and continually, raised hackles in the forums. Many felt that the streets should be public and open to foraging - others felt that it would be better if others were automatically blocked and that their streets were only accessible to those granted direct permission. The debates about "public" vs "private", when it came to home streets, were long, extremely emotional and, often, downright rude/mean.

Does that help explain the idea?
    __________________________________________________________________________________
    My HBM Homestead is South of Yemen. Off the coast of Somalia, on the island of Socotra.
    Oh God, the forum fights. And the tree wars. Miserable.

edited March 2013
    THE SPICE MUST GROW... ~X(
    Something else that occurs to me: It wouldn't be hard to set upper and lower price limits on items in a market.

And really, in any game without competition or a leaderboard, why do we even care about cheating? If John (pickin' on ya at random) bots his game so that he almost never has to DO anything and ends up with like 6 bajillion coins, as long as the market isn't true free trade/free market based, I don't see why I should CARE that he has that many coins. Hell, I'll just go oogle his presumably awesomely decorated home and go about my business. It's not like his botting ALL THE MANGOS makes it so there are less for me to forage. The only person John botting his game can hurt is John (through boredom), and maybe it can increase load a little on the server. But he's fairly likely to quickly get bored and leave when he runs out of things to automate, so that'll fix that.

Are we so preoccupied with "He has more! So it MUST be hurting me!" that we carry it over to situations where it isn't even true?

Honestly, if our homesteads had tree/animal harvesting for friends that worked like trees do out in the world, it would work nicely. Just don't let them move stuff or mess with plots and even the prickly ones couldn't exactly bitch about it.
    Also, yes, bloody hell. It was called EAST SPICE/WEST SPICE because there was supposed to be SPICE.

*Had Briar blocked for SO long over the wood trees too. Probably longer than needed. *
    Murri, I think that if the mechanics, as set up here in HBM, were to remain applicable to homestead (homestreet) resources, it'd be great! Anyone could come and harvest my trees, cows, even farm plots - so long as I can do so when I get there too. One of the big issues with resources on homestreets in Glitch was that folks could screw up your plan - you'd come home to empty gardens with no new seeds planted or nubs of ore (that wouldn't regenerate until they were mined away), etc. HBM's built-in "no bogarting" of resources could take care of that.

As far as this, though:
    "
    And really, in any game without competition or a leaderboard, why do we even care about cheating? If John (pickin' on ya at random) bots his game so that he almost never has to DO anything and ends up with like 6 bajillion coins, as long as the market isn't true free trade/free market based, I don't see why I should CARE that he has that many coins.
    "

I think you're forgetting about what happened in the Auction House on Glitch (and in the towers, for that matter). If, say, John made ALL TEH COINZ, he could buy up all of the resources he wants to in the Auction House and, at whim, strangle the marketplace. That would make me care, very much, about who was using bots to do stuff - especially if I went to (to use your example) buy mangoes to make juice and found the price to be 10 (or 100) times what it was yesterday, seemingly without reason. Now all of that mining that I did was for 1/10th (or 1/100th) of what it was only a day ago.

Cheating or not, John could really screw with the economy of the game. And, in this case, he's a good example, since he's one of the more prolific playalots and has a crapton of coin. Luckily, John isn't a bastard. Also luckily, the need for bots isn't really necessary if there isn't real world incentive for them - like an Auction House would provide. John is, however, competitive and, who knows, if there were an Auction House his tendencies could change (though I doubt it, he's actually a really nice guy). But this is where using John as an example (or target) ends, because it will not likely be someone who is a forum mod and who LOVES THIS GAME the way John does that will do the damage. It will be any number of people who play only for the Auction House aspect and, really, don't even have to play. They'll have bots do it all for them.
    edited March 2013
    All of which would be fixed my having the market controls I mentioned. And then there is the fact that John would still need to spend REAL money to buy barn blueprints to store all the crap he buys off the market, which if we actually have enough people playing to keep this afloat would quickly recover.

Remember when people tried to mess with the price of sparkly? You could pretty much go have lunch and come back and it would have mostly adjusted again.

AND: It would give an added strategy aspect of watching for the price to be low and buying extra for later, which you would need to balance against limited storage.

Net result: More people paying HBM for barns = more money going in = more stable and successful game.
    While the market discussion may be purely academic at this point (Since Chris has spoken... such a tease with that "sort of like trading" bit), I still find it interesting.

You've actually convinced me that the market wouldn't damage the game given the right controls. Those controls do have side effects though (sometimes unforeseen). Caps for example produce shortages, so obtaining rare items becomes a mater camping the market (or scripting it), so the average user would never see an item like say "Starium Extract" for sale. You can fight these kinds of secondary issues with new rules (don't allow the trading of rare items would be the simplest) but they invariably would make the market either less useful or have their own set of side effects.

I'm not saying that it absolutely cannot be done, but controlling the market with rules is tricky business to say the least. I think the most optimistic view I can summon in my mind right now is a market that is not TRULY useful in obtaining items, but some folk would find it fun nonetheless.
    I don't actually see that being an issue, IF: If we have the numbers of players needed to make this game work.

We even had a totally uncontrolled market on FS and it was never really an issue. I wasn't a true playalot, but I still got a bunch of the rare drop decorating blocks and decorations off the market. (if you didn't play it: Decorating your sphere was the big deal and those drops were pretty damn rare.) If I had wanted to hustle a little, I could have actually had my sphere decorated in nothing but the ultra rare pink cloud blocks. (eww, I know. But they WERE the rarest.)

And while I suspect a few folks botted it, it was never that bad. I think part of the problem here is that so many people have gotten used to needing to run a snag bar just to get the stuff from their farmville feed, and the players of the combat MMOs are so used to the Asian players botting that they brace for cheating everywhere.
    edited March 2013
    Well yes, if we are going back to the free market idea, we won't have shortages.
    Caps produce shortages for rare items, while the disadvantage of a free market game economy, is that it undermines the value of certain activities as inflation sets in (cheating can cause this to happen on a massive scale, but a limitless money supply will also cause a slower version).

Take your pick which is least objectionable.
    Of course there are more options (by adding additional requirements to either of the options above):
    • A market that trades in only common items (i.e. monster loot is not tradeable)

• A lottery for everyone interested in a rare item (at least the scripters won't snatch up the few items that are sold)

• An NPC sells an unlimited quantity of all items for the cap price (this is actually how Dungeon Overlord does it with an additional penalty that the NPC delivers the goods slower than a "real" seller).

• Use a free market but stay on top of cheating (if necessary) to stop massive inflation, and for the inflation that will still occur you can create ways to pull coins out of the economy and/or increase the players ability to earn coins over time (Originally I was thinking this was the only good idea, but I have been convinced it is just one option).

• Anything else you can come up with (I'm sure there are limitless possibilities)
    edited March 2013
    I honestly like option #4 best, John, but everyone seems so bent on reflexive hand wringing about cheaters that I didn't even want to push for it. It worked fine in FS, and that was FB accessible and we didn't have a huge cheating issue, ever.

And if more types of time potions were available for coins, + a wider variety of decorations (I would love the landscaping options like stairs, bridges, waterfalls, outcroppings, non-mining rocks, etc that we see in the world) as things to buy from shops it would easily take coins out of the system.
    Right now I unload my extra on time potions, mostly, since there isn't much else I feel is worth buying. If there were more epic decorations, I would actually work harder to get coins to buy them, either from other players (if craftable/tradeable/limited drop) or from an NPC shop.

One big factor in FB games cheating is I think whether it posts things to feeds like farmville. With FV, you nearly have to be "cheating", eg: using a snag bar AND have over 1000 friends to complete some of the quests.